Tuesday, August 18, 2009

1st day of School

Well we survived! Yesterday was a pretty momentous day for J and I. We both had our first day of school. I headed to med school and J headed to teach middle schoolers. I'm not sure which one is considered worse because I don't think I could handle being a middle school teacher.

We definitely jumped right into things and I'm actually at the library right now, but thought I'd take a short study break. We had about 3 hours of lecture and 3 hours of lab. We didn't do any dissections in lab, but we prepared the cadaver. Most people said they were nervous about that part, but once we got into the lab and started talking about anatomy it wasn't bad at all. I guess you kind of detach yourself and focus on the task of anatomical learning. So for the rest of the trimester I'll be spending hours upon hours in lab dissecting and learning basically every bone, muscle and nerve in the body. Sounds fun, huh? Oh yeah and that's just until November....I can't believe I'll know all of that by then.

J had good reports about his school day. He didn't actually meet the students he'll be teaching because yesterday was just a day for new students (5th grade students) and he'll be teaching 7th and 8th grade. He mentioned to me that he couldn't handle teaching the little ones and much prefers the older students, but still had a good day.

Since yesterday was such a big day for both of us, we decided to celebrate by going out to dinner. We couldn't help ourselves and had to return to Devon Seafood, which we discovered on our first night in Philly. Although we are trying not to eat at the same place twice, we just couldn't help it and the food was just as great as we remembered. J and I talked about our days and our goals for ourselves over the next 10 or so years. It was a good night. Then, we returned home and both retreated to our laptops to study/do work for 2 more hours. Welcome to our new life! :)

So that's a little mini update. I better get back to the books before my next class in 45 minutes.

I'll post pictures from the rest of our summer next time. How time flies!

1 comment: