Friday, February 12, 2010

Buddakan

During January Philadelphia had Restaurant Week. During Restaurant Week participating restaurants offer a 3 course dinner for $35 per person. It's truly a great deal to try some pretty pricey restaurants for a good price. They usually have it 2 times per year, so I'm definitely looking to the next Restaurant Week in 2010. I have also seen variations of Restaurant Week in different cities around the country, so definitely check to see when restaurants might have the same sort of deal in your area.

I left J to all the planning since there are so many restaurants to choose from and he picked Buddakan. It's located in the city in an area called Old City at 3rd and Chestnut. It's a part of the Starr restaurant group, which is owned by Stephen Starr. He has some really good restaurants in Philly, NYC, Atlantic City and Ft. Lauderdale. The other Star restaurant we've been to is Continental and we hope to make it to some of the others.

I loved the decor throughout the entire restaurant. The colors were vibrant, yet it had a very romantic and chill vibe.




I started the night with a White Peach Zen Gria which had jummai sake, pinot grigio, white peach and ginger brandy. I would definitely order it again as it wasn't too strong or sweet.

After my drink our appetizers arrived at the table. They were delicious and gone quickly. We ordered grilled octopus with sweet and chiptole miso. Along with crispy shrimp and scallop spring rolls. The spring rolls were very light with large pieces of seafood.


For our entrees we stuck with our love for seafood. We ordered two separate dishes, but split them evenly so we could have a taste of both.

We ordered sweet and crispy shrimp with citrus radish salad and candied walnuts. After the first bite I was in love! Our other entree was pan seared scallops that were also really flavorful and went really well with the shrimp.




Just when I didn't think the meal couldn't get any better dessert came out! I admit I have a sweet tooth, but this dessert was probably my favorite part of the meal. J ordered the crying chocolate cake, which was a warm chocolate cake with a soft center and chocolate inside. It came with Vietanamese coffee ice cream. He did share a few bites with me and I probably could've eaten the whole thing.

However my favorite part was probably my dessert. I ordered the dip sum doughnuts. They were heaven in a dessert. They were five-spice mini doughnuts served nice and warm with blackberry jam, chocolate sauce and ginger cream cheese for dipping. I think I might go back just for dessert one of these days.



So if you're ever in Philly I highly recommend Buddakan in Old City, especially if you're in the mood for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment