Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Road Trip...Part Two!

So after we left Hilton Head Island, we drove about 45 minutes to Savannah, GA. After we decided to go to Hilton Head I wanted to extend our vacation a few more days and always heard great things about Savannah. I was pleasantly surprised that Savannah was only a short drive from Hilton Head, so it worked out perfectly.

I used Priceline for the first time and we won our hotel room with a bid of $60 per night. We ended up staying at the 4 Points by Sheraton and it was really nice. I will definitely be using Priceline in the future.

We didn't really have a plan when we got to Savannah, but it's a perfect city to just walk around and discover things. Our first afternoon we took a trolley tour with Oglethorpe tours. It was a good tour and we got a general layout of the city.

I would probably say the highlight of our trip was our meal on our first night. We ate at Jazz'd, which is a tapas restaurant. The restaurant had great ambiance and delicious food. Every night they have live jazz music and the night we were there, there was an entertaining piano player. He played some great music and got even more entertaining as the bartender brought him more drinks.

We decided to do the tapas for 2, which included soup or salad, 4 tapas and 2 desserts.

J ordered the She Crab soup and I ordered the Spring Mix salad with walnuts and golden raisins.

Our 4 tapas were Jerk Chicken Wings, Crab Cakes, Calamari and Citrus Shrimp and Scallop Skewers.

I ordered a Cosmo, which was just as good as the food.

This was my favorite course, although everything else came in a close 2nd.

The artwork around the restuarant was absolutely stunning. There were some pieces for sale near the entrance, and I would've loved to take one home with us. Maybe oneday!

The next day we spent more time walking around and exploring.

We spent some time at the City Market and looked in some shops. J was hungry so we got some lunch and I got some gelato.

The Candy Kitchen was another one of my favorite spots. I actually resisted temptation and didn't buy anything, but it was fun to walk around and watch the candy being made.

Taffy being made. I did get a free sample to somewhat satisfy my sweet tooth.

Later that night we headed to River Street. Since it was our first visit we couldn't pass it up.

We were worried about the weather throughout the week, but it worked out wonderfully as the rain usually held off until the evening or night time. Here's the view from under the umbrella.

I don't know what J was thinking, but he decided to drive the ENTIRE way home. I offered to drive some, but I guess he was on a roll so we just kept going. We stopped for lunch and 2 bathroom breaks, but that was about it. I couldn't resist taking a picture of this person driving with their foot out of the window (I think we were somewhere in Virginia at this point). How can that be comfortable?

We played some road trip games to pass the time and we got home around 11 pm. It was nice to be back sleeping in our own beds!

1 comment:

  1. Those are some fun pics! Looks like you guys had a great time...